Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to generate geometry from latitude and longitude

Syarifhidayat
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I have little bit problem to generate a geometry based on longitude and latitude. Hope someone can help me.
Here I attach a file, where in that file, it have an input sheet (input data) and also output sheet (how the output should be).

The geometry should be polygon. So, I can see the location in a map.

Thank for review my problem.

9 REPLIES 9
jakemancer
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I believe what you're trying to do is achieved by using the Create Points tool, which can be found in the spatial category. 

I have attached an image displaying the output using this tool. Just configure the X and Y fields within the tool to match your Latitude/Longitude fields and the tool will generate a centroid for each record which is visible on a map through the browse tool.

Just insert a Select tool after the Create Points tool and rename the Centroid field 'Geometry' to achieve your desired output!

Hope this helps!

Syarifhidayat
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jakemancer,

Thank you for reply and solution.. But that was not exactly output that I want...instead the geometry using a point..

I want it in form of polygon.

point - on the map, it only plot the location

polygon - on the map, it will show the area of that location

hope you understand what I am trying to say

Syarifhidayat
8 - Asteroid

As you can see from the file that i attached below, we can view our location using map based on point and also polygon.

and I want my location from longitude and latitude (original data) is view by using polygon

jakemancer
7 - Meteor

The latitude/longitude within your input is a specific point on a map - thus just generating a point. You can join these together to show one large polygon, or alternatively create a polygon around them with the latitude/longitude at the centre?

The size of this polygon can be specified by you!

Syarifhidayat
8 - Asteroid

I still little bit blur, hope you can show me simple workflow on how to do that?
you may use input data that i provided or any data that related to my question.

CoreyLong
6 - Meteoroid

This is my best guess as to what you're looking for. After you've created your points as @jakemancer has described, you can also use the Buffer tool to create a circle around that point. You can specify the radius of the circle based upon Miles or Kilometers.

2017-11-01_12-20-39.png

Syarifhidayat
8 - Asteroid

Okay, thanks for make me understand my problem

akamdi1
5 - Atom

If I have different radius for each data point is it possible to draw circle according to it?

For example:

LatitudeLongitudeRadius_miles
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @akamdi1, you can use the From Field option in the BufferSize parameter of the Buffer tool.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

Labels