Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to generate a new record with the date of the current day

bvj
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone!

There is probably a simple solution for this but I haven't figured it out.

I have a flow that runs data every day. But I would like to track the development of the data on a daily basis. I'm using the summarize tool to get all the average numbers on one record, and it is these average numbers I would like to generate a new record for every day with the current date of the day.

I have played around with the Generate Rows tool but no luck. I guess I just don't know how to use it.

Example:

Date

Avg number

Today

12-11-2020

Today+1

13-11-2020

Today+2

14-11-2020

14 REPLIES 14
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@bvj 
Is this what you need?

Capture.PNG

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @bvj 

A couple things you need to do: 

1 stream to build your label (ie Today + x ) : You can take the ordered list, pull the bottom row, get the last character as a number and add 1 then concat "Today+" + tostring(number)

1 stream to get your next date which is just two functions: max(Date) then DatetimeAdd(ToDate(Date()),1,"days")

1 stream to do a average. 

Once you have all 3 of these individual numbers,  do a join by position to get a single 'new' row and then use the append tool to add to original dataset

Hope this helps! 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
bvj
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks. I have applied the solution and will see tomorrow when we have a new date if it works.

bvj
6 - Meteoroid

(This message is just to be ignored - don't know how to delete it)

bvj
6 - Meteoroid

@Qiu 

Unfortunately it does not work. Today I still only got one line instead of two.

With the right solution I should have two records: One for yesterday (12-11-2020) with the avg numbers for yesterday, and another record with the avg numbers of today (13-11-2020).

My output is a summarize tool with one record that updates every day. I would very much like to record the updated number on a new generated record for every day.

bvj
6 - Meteoroid

@joshuaburkhow 

I'm sorry but I don't completely understand your solution, could you provide an .yxmd example? If it's not too inconvenient. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@bvj 
If I understand correct, you data updates everyday, so how can we get the data yesterday?

If that is the case, we need to have a Datalake or sort of thing. And if the data is not big, we can export to a Alteryx Database file then retrieve it.

Let me know.

bvj
6 - Meteoroid

@Qiu

Yes a data lake where we store a new record for everyday. Alteryx database would definitely work as output.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@bvj 

Made a sample flow for your reference.

Basically, the flow will read 'yesterday' data and join with 'today' data then output to update 'yesterday' data.

1112-bvj.PNG

Labels