Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to fix a parse error

BluHorseShu
5 - Atom

BluHorseShu_0-1612041628908.png

I am getting a parse error when I try to change the Wage Type field. I can update the filter with different wage types, but when i use "Key Location & Job", I get a parse error.  Any advise on how to fix? 

3 REPLIES 3
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Can we see a screen shot of the formulas themselves?  hard to determine by your screenshot what's going on.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Hi!

Your comment is about "Wage Type"' but your post shows errors created at other parts of your workflow. The error you posted the screen grab from relates to a totally different field - and Designer is saying it's the wrong field name or the field you are using doesn't exist. Perhaps your field changed names or wasn't carried through in the Cross Tab? Adding a Select before your Formula and posting a screen grab of the fields and their types might be helpful.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If you look at your expression, the colors will help you understand what may be wrong. A general guideline to go off of is colorful = good, black = bad. An expression is valid until it gets to a point where the text is black.

Looking at your formula, it looks like there is an issue with some of your fields. The fields are either not available in the dataset, or are the incorrect data type for the function. I suggest making sure the field is a valid field in your dataset. The easiest way to do this is to add them directly from the column list in the formula tool (signified by the X on the left hand side of the expression).

Once you know the fields are correct, take a look at the datatypes. It looks like your first formula is adding two fields together. Are both fields numbers? You can check and adjust this in a Select tool.

Hope this helps!

Labels