Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to find the other process accessing the same yxdb file

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

Hello Everyone,

For a couple of my Workflows I receive the following error:

Error - ToolId 27: Error opening the file "[filelocation/filename].yxdb": The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)

I know what the error means, the Workflow with this error couldn't access a .yxdb file because an other workflow was using it.

It is a hassle to find out which workflow is using that .yxdb file at the same time.

My question:

Is there a way where I can check to see which workflow is/was using that specific .yxdb file without going to the logs manually and looking for something like;

00:00:03.206 - ToolId X: [filelocation/filename].yxdb|Z records were read from "[filelocation/filename].yxdb"

3 REPLIES 3
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

In my experience, and this JUST happened to me again last week, when you get that error, someone physically has the YXDB open on their machine.  They went to the actual YXDB file, and double clicked it to open it.  So it's not a workflow that's locking it.  As long as no one has that YXDB physically open, any number of workflows can read it in and work with it.  I have to put in a request with my IT dept to get them to find out who has it opened (because it's on a shared network drive) and have them force-close it.  And then I remind the users to never double click a YXDB.

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

@mbarone thanks for the thorough explanation. The issue i'm facing with regards to this error also include that the yxdb file is on  a network drive. So that means that on other person got the file open on there VM/local machine.

well, whis me luck talking to IT about force-close it. 🙂

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Quite welcome!  Yes, it's a big pain in the butt.  If you happen to have the security access to be able to make changes to the shared drive, you could do it yourself - Computer Management, Click on the top tier (Computer Management (Local)), Action, Connect to another computer.  Then once you're connected to the drive (server), you can go to System Tools, Shared Folders, Open Files, and then force-close from there.  Even though I have full admin rights on my machine, I don't have elevated access to the NAS shares.

Labels