Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to find large strings of any size and remove it

danielreedsmith
7 - Meteor

Ok I'll admit I'm not well versed in Regex so any help would be great. I am doing Text analytics and when I use the data cleans tool I am ending up with some long strings that are junk mostly due to people copying and pasting emails into our CRM tool and they are usually URLs or emails like this:

BOBBYJOEWESTERNFRONTDIVISIONOFINTERNALCOM

Any of these large strings of data are not useful so I'm trying to figure out a way where I can find any word that has more then like 15 characters or more would be replaced by a blank (or " "). I do not want an exact match on the word or the number of characters only >= the number of characters. 

I feel like the Regex_replace should be able to do this but I am not sure how to code the pattern to make it work 

Dan

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @danielreedsmith 

Are you looking for something similar to the below?

if Length([Field1])> 15 then "" else [Field1] endif

christine_assaad_0-1604516158311.png

danielreedsmith
7 - Meteor

Hi Christine, 

That's on the right track but I don't want to replace the whole filed with a blank just the long word within the field and leave all the other normally sized words alone. The field is a comment field from our CRM system so they can have hundreds or thousands of legitimist words. The long ones like I posted in the example I know are not legit so I just want to remove those words. 

Sorry I would post an example of the data set if I could mock up something that wasn't sensitive information. 

Let me know if that clarifies and if not I'll try to mock something up.

D

No worries @danielreedsmith  🙂

Please check this out. Hope it helps. Cheers!

christine_assaad_0-1604518005312.png

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

Hi @danielreedsmith — You can do it by several ways... take a look about three examples in the attached workflow:

vizAlter_0-1604519174722.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer "Solved", if not let me know!

(or provide us 2 or 3 dummy records along with your expected output layout)

danielreedsmith
7 - Meteor

For some reason this doesn't work with cell has a lot of words in it. I still found the larger words. 

Labels