Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to fill in data inbetween two values with a multi row formula but only in between

carl-meyer
7 - Meteor

Capture.JPGOkay so I want to fill in the data in between those 1s with 1s but not go over from the top or bottom how should my multi row formula look

8 REPLIES 8
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @carl-meyer,

I'd use this configuration:

clmc9601_0-1628115324723.png

Here is the text of the expression:

IF
IsNull([F1])
THEN [Row-1:F1]
ELSE [F1]
ENDIF

I hope this helps! If it does, please consider marking it a solution so others may find it.

carl-meyer
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the help but I tried that and it copies the 1 all the way down I just want the 1 to be inbetween so it starts when it hits 1 and ends when it hits 1

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @carl-meyer,

Could you please send a picture of your configuration and your incoming data? Please make sure you are not "grouping" in the Multi-Row formula tool.

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @carl-meyer,

This is difficult to do in Alteryx because you have to give it criteria that will apply to the entire dataset. Is there any basis for why you need those 1s and not above or below? It might be easier to go on different logic. 

carl-meyer
7 - Meteor

I'm creating a flag variable 1 and then i want to fill in all those spots in between the 1s so i can use a filter to say when flag variable equals 1 to filter out the data i want in the other columns

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Oh ok, this is doable. Can you send example data? I'd be able to help you more effectively with sample data. 

I'd probably incorporate your flagged data into the Multi-Row expression. For example, is there a certain string that always exists after the 1 group should end? Then your Multi-Row expression could say, "put ones between all the ones but stop once you see this string"

carl-meyer
7 - Meteor

Capture.JPGOkay so how i generated the 1s was by using when the intial column contained total current assets and total liabilities and stockholders equity so maybe we can just use them again to tell it when to stop filling in 1s?

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@carl-meyeryep, pretty much! Thanks for the picture-- that makes it easier to solve.

Would this expression work in the Multi-Row formula tool editing the [flag variable] column?

IF StartsWith([F100],'Total current assets')
THEN 1
ELSEIF StartsWith([Row-1:F100], 'Total Liabilities And Stock')
THEN 0
ELSE [Row-1:flag variable]
ENDIF

If this does the trick, please consider marking it as a solution!

Labels