Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to fill down values from x number of rows above

acah
5 - Atom

Hello!  I'm new to Alteryx.  Does anyone have a clever way of effectively filling down data from x number of rows above?  Similar to the way where you can double-click in excel and have the data fill in from above.  I was trying to use a multi-row function, but can't really figure out how to since the row of the data that needs to be copied varies.  I have the followding data set.  Thank you!
rtaImage (6).png

19 REPLIES 19
acah
5 - Atom
I answered my own question i think.  I am using the expression:

IF IsNull([Field_1]) THEN [Row-1:NewField] ELSE [Field_1] ENDIF
danielkresina
9 - Comet
Exactly, the multi-row formula is the key for this. I'm not aware of any better method.

@SculptingData 
sammyjld
5 - Atom

Can you please elaborate on what you put instead of ' [Row-1:NewField]'

VizED
6 - Meteoroid

The "Row-1" means to look at the row preceding the active row, and ":NewField" is the name of another field (*or even the same field) from which to take the field value and then write it to [Field_1] if [Field_1] is null. 

It works perfectly! I wanted to thank the OP as your question and answer were very helpful!

Thanks!!

-C

jark1294
7 - Meteor

This is an awesome solution but I can't quite get it to work. It's not reading Row-1 as a formula for me and can't read that portion of it at all. Am I inputting something incorrectly? I'm trying to adjust the same field with the value from the rows above.

Thanks!

Jordan

IF IsNull([Success Month]) THEN

[[Row-1]:[Success Month]]

ELSE [Success Month] ENDIF

@acah @VizED @sammyjld @danielkresina 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jark1294 

Take off the square brackets from [Row-1] and it should work.

Cheers,

jark1294
7 - Meteor

Still not working:

Capture.JPG

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jark1294 

You need to use Multi-Row Formula Tool

Cheers,

jark1294
7 - Meteor

@Thableaus 

Is this for the current version of Alteryx? I'm not fully following the instructions... Thanks!

Labels