Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to fill down values from x number of rows above

acah
5 - Atom

Hello!  I'm new to Alteryx.  Does anyone have a clever way of effectively filling down data from x number of rows above?  Similar to the way where you can double-click in excel and have the data fill in from above.  I was trying to use a multi-row function, but can't really figure out how to since the row of the data that needs to be copied varies.  I have the followding data set.  Thank you!
rtaImage (6).png

19 REPLIES 19
acah
5 - Atom
I answered my own question i think.  I am using the expression:

IF IsNull([Field_1]) THEN [Row-1:NewField] ELSE [Field_1] ENDIF
danielkresina
9 - Comet
Exactly, the multi-row formula is the key for this. I'm not aware of any better method.

@SculptingData 
sammyjld
5 - Atom

Can you please elaborate on what you put instead of ' [Row-1:NewField]'

VizED
6 - Meteoroid

The "Row-1" means to look at the row preceding the active row, and ":NewField" is the name of another field (*or even the same field) from which to take the field value and then write it to [Field_1] if [Field_1] is null. 

It works perfectly! I wanted to thank the OP as your question and answer were very helpful!

Thanks!!

-C

jark1294
7 - Meteor

This is an awesome solution but I can't quite get it to work. It's not reading Row-1 as a formula for me and can't read that portion of it at all. Am I inputting something incorrectly? I'm trying to adjust the same field with the value from the rows above.

Thanks!

Jordan

IF IsNull([Success Month]) THEN

[[Row-1]:[Success Month]]

ELSE [Success Month] ENDIF

@acah @VizED @sammyjld @danielkresina 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jark1294 

Take off the square brackets from [Row-1] and it should work.

Cheers,

jark1294
7 - Meteor

Still not working:

Capture.JPG

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jark1294 

You need to use Multi-Row Formula Tool

Cheers,

jark1294
7 - Meteor

@Thableaus 

Is this for the current version of Alteryx? I'm not fully following the instructions... Thanks!

Labels