Inspire EMEA 2022 On-Demand is live! Watch now, and be sure to save the date for Inspire 2023 in Las Vegas next May.

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer and Intelligence Suite.

How to export a date field from alteryx to excel for the excel filter tool

BQuinette
5 - Atom

I am attempting to use alteryx to send a data to an excel spreadsheet. In excel there is a filter function, and if you put it on a date field, you are able to display only the months you select and filter out the ones you don't. When I export from alteryx to excel however, I am unable to use the filter function to filter by months. I believe that this is due to alteryx not sending the date field as a date field. The problem is that alteryx needs a date field that is formatted in a yyyy-mm-dd format and excel needs a mm/dd/yyyy format. When I send a date field in the alteryx format to excel, excel still is unable to receive it as a date field. How can I export my data to excel and still be able to use the filter tool to filter dates by month in excel?

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@BQuinette,

I just tested this and had no problems.  I set a date field and made sure that the data type was "DATE".  When I wrote to excel it appears as 7/30/2018 and filters as a date.  I also created an output of 07/30/2018 and that field FAILED to have the date part filters.

Please be sure that your data is set to DATE for the type.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
BQuinette
5 - Atom

Hi,

Can you please post what you are doing? I have tried running it as a date field and I have tried to convert it to the format that excel wants. If I attempt to change the format in the way that excel wants while leaving it as a date field it turns all of my values into null. I am unable to output the filter by months with the dates either in a date or a string field.

Thank you

danrh
13 - Pulsar

You are correct, you can't have the date in mm/dd/yyyy in Alteryx, it will null out all your fields.  In the attached, I've built a workflow that converts a string to an Alteryx date field (yyyy-mm-dd), and outputting it to an excel file.  All I did with the excel was open it and apply a filter to the column and it seems to be working as expected.

image.png

BQuinette
5 - Atom

Hi,

I apologize for not specifying this earlier, but for my requirements I must use a render tool and a table. I believe that that is where the problem is occurring.

Thank you

pdxsvrider
7 - Meteor

Exactly.  Alteryx changes the data field to a string when using the reporting tools.  Need a fix or workaround for this please.

Labels