Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to examine data flows within a macro?

Newt
8 - Asteroid

A standard Designer workflow allows examination of how the data is being altered by each tool along the way.  Often, the data has quirks that were not expected by the formula or join, etc. 

How can one see what's happening inside a macro?  The only method I've found is to copy the macro out to a regular workflow and repeat it several times to see what a few iterations would show.  This seem clunky and slow.  Any solutions?  Thanks very much.

5 REPLIES 5
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Newt you should be able to right click on the macro and select the "Open Macro:" option. You should be able to run the process within the macro end to end.

I'd advise that you run the workflow/macro in Debug mode:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/debug-workflow

Newt
8 - Asteroid

I'm examining the Help section's Sample Workflows /  Using Scripting and automation / Appls and Macros / "03 Assign_Supply_to_demand.yxmd" workflow and its macro. 

This workflow starts off with 14,568 pairs of supply and demand points that it feeds into the macro.  However, when I try the Test View with Debug on the macro, the macro only starts off with 531 pairs.  Is this expected?  Have I set up the debug incorrectly?

This doesn't allow me to see how even one turn of the iteration works with all the data...  Thanks.

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Newt those records are coming from the Placeholder file as per the below:

RishiK_0-1614269842786.png

Are you using the macro in a workflow?

Newt
8 - Asteroid

Yes, I am using it in a workflow.

So, would I need to output the entire data flow into a file just before it reaches the macro, and then use that file as the placeholder, to see all of the data pass once through the macro?

Thanks.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Newt ,

If you use the debug mode this does give a useful way to view the macro (as @RishiK mentioned) but it doesn't allow you to see the second or third iteration.

What I've found useful is to put it in debug mode; and then use Input and Output to YXDB files instead of macro input and output - and then you can simulate how an iterative macro or a batch macro will work.

This allows you to debug and build your macros until you know they are working - and then go back to using Macro-input & Macro-output tools once you know that it's working.

Macro.png

Labels