Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to efficiently edit different connections in a workflow

qasdxx
7 - Meteor

Here is my problem:

I have 12 different input files, each one corresponding to a month of the year from January - December. Within each of the 12 input files, there is a column ("Column X") for which I I use to add identifiers to all the rows based on the values in that column. The identifying data within Column X can be the same or it can vary slightly across each of my 12 data files.

For example: in January, I need to add the numbers 1 and 2 for my identifier column based on data within Column X - there are 50 rows that say "investor A" and 50 rows that say "investor B". Now say in February, Column X has "investor A", "investor B", and "investor C", so I need to add an additional number 3 in my identifier column for "investor C". 

Here is my current solution: I have a template file that tracks the unique identifiers in Column X for each of the 12 files. I have a formula tool for each of my 12 input file streams that adds an identifier column and splices up column X based on the values in that column. 

I would like to improve this format because I have 30 data sets (each with 12 input files corresponding to the 12 months of the year). Each data set has column X, but the data within the column varies per data set. For example, another one of my data sets would need to be disaggregated based on "General Z" and "General Y". What I would like is to have one formula tool that changes the data across all 12 of my input files, so that way I could efficiently change the identifying information. At the end of the data stream, these 12 input files are each output into a separate tab (January - December) of the same Excel workbook. Does anyone have any ideas? I am wondering if a union tool would work, however, again I need to output the data onto 12 separate tabs. 

1 REPLY 1
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @qasdxx 

It sounds like you need a batch macro - which is often called for when you see yourself repeating the same process (or many many input connections to files of similar format).

If you have not already done so, I highly encourage you to check out the following resources in which not only the "how-to" but also the motivation for commonly encountered use cases are discussed:

1. Interactive lessons on Macro: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Macros
  2. Advanced Cert training part II on Macro: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Advanced-Certification-Prep-Part-II/td-p/351833

Dawn.

Labels