Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to dynamically select columns and output to different sheets in same excel file

sridharthemass
7 - Meteor

Data 

rule_idserial_nocitycountryregionentity
145melbourneaustraliaAUSA1
146sydneyaustraliaAUSA1
178adelaideaustraliaAUSA1
133new yorkUSAUSA2
2889hong kongChinaCHB1
296melbourneaustraliaAUSB1
212sydneyaustraliaAUSC1

Metadata

rule_idfield name
1serial_no
1city
1country
2serial_no
2region
2city
2entity
2country

In the Ouput will contain an single excel file with different sheet names based on ruleid and its associated columns selected dynamically for the above input there will be two sheets with names '1' and '2'

Note the metadata and Data tabs columns will change dynamically

Can anyone help me in solving this using batch macro or any other feasible efficient solution

12 REPLIES 12
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sridharthemass 

Perhaps i am overthinking. By “dynamically select” do you mean:

a) the user manually click and choose which fields should show when different rules Are selected?

or

b) the input is a fixed excel file which control how another excel file is processed and output?

If the answer is a) it can be relatively straightforward. If b then you need to have a number of interfaces which can cater to the max number of fields that can be selected per rule.

dawn

sridharthemass
7 - Meteor

b then you need to have a number of interfaces which can cater to the max number of fields that can be selected per rule. yes i tried with batch macro but i am getting error and can you help me if have similar workflow solution built up for this please

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sridharthemass 

i mistyped in my earlier reply. If (b) then relatively straightforward!

i am commuting now so unable to post a workflow. I will describe a schematic below.

1) transpose your “input data” by selecting all the measurements columns (in this case, that looks like all columns except the ruleID) > this will generate a new data set where you have a “Name” column that contains the measurement fieldnames

2) connect the L input of A simple join tool immediately to the output from the Transpose tool. The R input of the Join tool connects to the Mapping field. The join conditions are on 2 fields:

- RuleID: RuleID

- Field_name: Name

3) connect the J output of the Join tool to a Crossrab tool, select group by “ruleID”, setting is such that thr Name field is pivoted to new columns, the data fields aggregation method set to “first”.

4) Use a table tool then a render tool set to batch by “ruleID” so that different ruleId are written to different tabs of a single excel output file.

hope the above makes sense

dawn 

sridharthemass
7 - Meteor

First of All- Really thanks for me helping me out with the solution - when i tried the above approach say for rule_id=1, only serial_no,city and country should be populated but the cross tab output yields the other two fields such region and entity as well.

Any work around to fix this - why i am saying is that eventhough we can filter out the blank columns in rule_id=1 table in some scenarios we might not have data for some column in the data tab as well which might remove the schema

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sridharthemass 

i forgot about the blank values. In this case use an interactive macro to iteratively loop through the Mapping data row by row. Let me know if you have used this technique before.

if you use this method, you can directly write to excel output without the render / report table tool.

cheers

dawn 

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I will try to post a mock up after j have access to laptop again 

sridharthemass
7 - Meteor

Sure and haven't used Iterative macro - please assist in the workflow piece when you are free and thanks a lot for your help

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @sridharthemass 

I used a batch macro instead, since it is easier to update the tab names.

Cheers.

sridharthemass
7 - Meteor

Getting this below error message in response when i am trying to open it

Failure to Import C:\Users\XX\Downloads\TestingSimpleBatchMacro.yxzp.
There was an error opening "C:\Users\XX\Downloads\TestingSimpleBatchMacro\TestingSimpleBatchMacro.yxmd":

Is there any other possible means to have at this workflow please

Labels