Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to dynamically populate dropdown list tool based on xls input?

AkisM
10 - Fireball

I figured that the example I'm attaching below should work, but it doesn't. Dropdown list options stay hardcoded to the options that were present when the workflow was being built, instead of changing according to input excel sheet (try editing the attached excel to add an extra line with a new currency/amount and it won't update).

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @AkisM 

Looks like it you might not have it configured correctly. You need to select your action tool. Click once on the Expression line so it's selected and then check the box below for "Replace a specific string" and then only put the value (not quotes or anything else) that you want replaced. Like this: 

joshuaburkhow_0-1583238417162.png

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
AkisM
10 - Fireball

Hi @joshuaburkhow , I think you may have misunderstood the issue. My issue isn't that the dropdown list doesn't change the filter correctly. It does that fine. My issue is that the dropdown list options don't change according to the sheet selected. If the input sheet has 7 different currencies instead of 3, the dropdown list should have 7 different options as well.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Ahhh @AkisM  yes totally missed that 😉

So the only way I know to make this work the way where you have a user give a file and then you populate the dropdown list is to do it using chained apps. From the user pov it wouldn't be very different. You would have your first app capture the file and get the currencies like you are doing then the second app would choose from them and do the output. Make sense? 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

Hope this helps!

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels