Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to dynamically name the sheets in an excel ouput

James_Horton
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I'm trying to dynamically name my output excel file in my workflow so that it automatically updates with today's date and saves to a certain location.  Thanks to other articles, I've figured out how to get it run with a single sheet tab in the excel file.  However, I'd like it to generate multiple tabs in the report using my column [PID Desc].  I followed the format shown in other articles but I keep getting the error: "You must specify a sheet name."  I'm including screen shots of my workflow.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

James_Horton_2-1603829285578.png

James_Horton_0-1603829098301.png

James_Horton_1-1603829125264.png

9 REPLIES 9
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @James_Horton,

All the fields are string position?

Can you copy-paste the output from the OutputFilename column?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @James_Horton,

It looks like your formula is correct. Maybe pip desc column is empty? 

James_Horton
6 - Meteoroid

You're right.  The PID field isn't populating in the name for some reason.  It's set up as a string.  Any ideas?

James_Horton_0-1603833807891.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @James_Horton,

Are you sure that PID Desc got any data inside? it isn't just empty or blank?

Test it with replacing pid desc with a formula that changes it to 'Sheet1'. Confirm if it will start working. 

If it will you need to take a deeper look into PID desc. Without a data itself I am not able to do much 🙂 

James_Horton
6 - Meteoroid

I"m unfortunately unable to provide data but here's a screen shot.  PID Desc is populated.  When I change PID Desc name to "Sheet1" it still doesn't work

James_Horton_0-1603834391944.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @James_Horton,

Maybe you can try to filter out the empty positions for the PID desc. 

The first line is empty that is the only reason that I see why it doesn't work for you but it should start working when you changed it to sheet1.

I am truly sorry but I need to finish today. Maybe someone else will be able to assist you or you will get it working without any support. 

Good luck!

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If you  doesn't need the blank lines at PIDDesc, try removing them by the Filter tool as  said.

If necessary, you have to replace them with Sheet1 or something. It will work.

James_Horton
6 - Meteoroid

That worked!  Apparently it didn't like that the first row had a blank for PID Desc.  Once I filtered that out, it worked like a charm.  Thanks!

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @James_Horton,

I am glad I could help !

Labels