Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to dynamically change a string for an InDB query

csh8428
11 - Bolide

I've read through the community and can't really find a solution.. or at least one I can understand and reverse-engineer to fit my use case; which is admittedly quite simple.

I have workflow that I change the "Begin Date" and "End Date" values when I run the workflow in designer desktop to  in the query using a text input tool and the dynamic input tool(screenshot). I do this because those fields exist MANY times in the query so I don't have to change the values in multiple places each time I need to change the dates.

I now need to do this via InDB tools because the data-set is so large. I can't seem to figure out how to do this using InDB tools instead of the regular direct connect tools. This will be run from the Alteryx designer and not as an end-user app, so really I just need to mimic the usual Text input tool to dynamic input tool, but do it using and InDB tool.

I'm oversimplifying, but basically the query goes like this

SELECT 
NAME,
Begin Date,
End Date,

FROM HR_TABLE

WHERE 1=1
AND Begin Date = '0000-00-00'
AND End Date = '999-99-99'

This is how I do it using regular tools. How do I do the same using InDB tools?

screenshot.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Craig

EDIT: Completely re-wrote the post to make it more clear

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@csh8428 
Can you use the following SQL function?

convert 

It would be better if you could provide some desired input and output.

csh8428
11 - Bolide

I don't really have a desired output, I just need to know how to be able to be able to enter  value once that then changes that value in all the places it occurs in an InDB query. I re-wrote the post to be a little more accurate to what I'm looking for.

csh8428
11 - Bolide

I figured it out.

Create the fields as a formula you need to dynamically change. Also as a formula(after the dynamic formula) create 2 fields(either as a text input or from other parts of the workflow). One column contains the alias of the InDb connection and the other contains the SQL query. Now, IN the SQL query formula is where you enter the actual fields from the dynamic formula that you want changed.

After these formulas, then add a select tool where ONLY the connection and query columns are passed to the In-DB dynamic input tool.

screenshot.jpg

Labels