Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to download from site requiring Two-Factor Authentication

Vador98
6 - Meteoroid

Hello! 

I have a workflow that is based off a macro-enabled Excel spreadsheet.  Currently I have to log into a password protected website, which gets me to another page where I have to click a button on the screen.  This will email me a code, which I need to type into the next screen to get access.  After that, I can navigate to my file and download as needed.  After downloading and overwriting the existing file, I can run my workflow.  

What I'm trying to do is build in that file download as part of my workflow.  I've found a few articles that mention multi-factor authentication and two-factor authentication, but they don't really get at what I need.  Is there any way to have the workflow pause while I wait for the email to be sent so that I can enter the code, mid-workflow?

One of my other thoughts is to activate the connection in a browser, then start the workflow, but it appears that the workflow tries to make it's own connection instead.  Is there any way to try to use an active connection (Google Chrome, for example) instead of trying to go through the authentication as part of the workflow?

Thanks!

Eric

3 REPLIES 3
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Vador98,

I am not sure if I'd use Alteryx to achieve this and I personally haven't heard of an Alteryx-way to do it. 

My personal workaround for this issue is to use Desktop-Automation Tools (like UiPath or AutomationAnywhere - both have free Community Editions). You can easily record your login process including the wait for the E-Mail and let it automatically download the data for you. These tools can also open Alteryx afterwards, run the workflow and close it. It's definitely not a clean way, but it works for me.

Let me know what you think.

Best

Alex

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Vador98 

You may be able to do this using a chained app.  The first app will be the tricky one to build because you'll need to simulate the button press.  Before you start, use a sniffer like Fiddler to find out what gets passed to web site when you press the button.  If it's a PUT command and not some .js that needs to be interpreted, you should be able to simulated this in a download tool.  The sequence in the first app will be 

1. Initial password protected  login using a Download tool.

2. Parse the result from this and find the button and the action that happens when you press it

3. Use a second download tool to "push" the button.

4. Chain the second app

In the second app, add a text box to enter the code and continue with your processing

Dan

Vador98
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the replies!  I understand there's no ideal solution, which is disappointing.  I can currently just download the file in advance and then run the workflow, but was hoping for something simpler.  

@danilang I've started building similar apps for other projects.  It's rather labor intensive, so I was hoping for something easier through Alteryx!  This is likely the best way to go, if I don't want to continue doing what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Eric

Labels