Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to do math in one table based on the values in another table

ewang
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have lookup table A which contains different prices for items A and B.

Table A:

ewang_0-1593127698899.png

I have another table B which has the province, city, A and B. Columns A and B in this table are having the same names as the items name A and B in table A. 

Table B:

ewang_2-1593127958771.png

I want to get the values by multiple the quality in Table B with the prices in Table A, and come out with the total, so for each record in table B will have 3 records at the end as there are 3 different sets of price for the items.

So the expected result will be:

ewang_3-1593128075050.png

Does anyone has any idea how to do this in Alteryx? Thank you in advance and really appreciate any insights. 

6 REPLIES 6
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @ewang , you can use append tool , formula tool and a select tool to achieve the desired output. Please refer to the screenshot and workflow.

grazitti_sapna_0-1593150253384.png

Sapna Gupta
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @ewang ,

there are different options to do the calculation. A very simple method would be to use the Append Fields tool to add the price columns to the quantities and do the calculation using a Formula tool, a more flexible approach would use Transpose and Join tool. I've attached a sample workflow showing both approaches.

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

bhrmitra
10 - Fireball

Hi 

You can use a append to to solve this. Append tool works as a cross join.

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct and also hit the like button, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Thanks,

Abhra Mitra

ewang
7 - Meteor

This works. Thank you very much, for some reason I thought Append too like a union tool, and didn't realize it works like a cross join. It will help a lot as I will keep it in mind now.

ewang
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much, it does work for the question I have now. And yes, thanks for pointing it out that Append tool works like cross join, I for some reason got that slip off my mind. Thanks a lot.

ewang
7 - Meteor

@RolandSchubert wrote:

Hi @ewang ,

there are different options to do the calculation. A very simple method would be to use the Append Fields tool to add the price columns to the quantities and do the calculation using a Formula tool, a more flexible approach would use Transpose and Join tool. I've attached a sample workflow showing both approaches.

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

Thanks a lot Roland,

I like the transpose and cross-tab solution here as it allows me to do further grouping here by the record id. Really appreciate all the answers here, I have learned something new again.  🙂

Labels