Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to do a code review in alteryx

alt_tush
9 - Comet

HI All,

I am managing one big alteryx project and now there are four people are working on same workflow.

But for us it is difficult to manage the changes/enhancements because of we all are working on same workflow.

Is there any way or tool which help us to mange the code/review the code. If something goes wrong then rollback the code for particular developer who make wrong changes instead of rollback all changes who developed by all four developers in quicker way.

Thank you 

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@alt_tush 

I dont have expericene to develop the alteryx workflow by a team.

But just to imagin, maybe 

1. divide the workflow by blocks, which each will have Person-in-charge.

2. Define clearly the data stream in and out of blocks for schema

3. A designated person oversee the whole and coordinate between blocks.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @alt_tush 

Very good response from @Qiu.  This is essentially the way you would divide a traditional coding project.  One person gets the input processes, another the transformations, etc, with a final person integrating the changes.

If you can break your workflow into blocks with clearly defined input and output contracts, you can then convert each block into a standard macro.  Each developer is assigned a macro to work on.   This isolates the changes at the macro level, so you can then roll-back just the macro, by replacing it with a previous version, without affecting the other parts of the workflow

Dan

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@danilang 
Thank you for the postive comment. 😁

Tanai_Goncalves
8 - Asteroid

The path answered by @Qiu is probably the one to follow.

If this workflow is handled by that many people, will probably result in a big one.

I would suggest to abuse of the use of standard Macros. This will result in a smaller (visually) workflow, and you will be able to delegate each macro(s) as an individual workflow to each one of the team.

Good luck on that.

Regards

Tanai

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @alt_tush - I agree with the above approach. This is how we would organise development. You may also be interested in learning about version control in Alteryx. Here is an article for you: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Alteryx-vs-Version-Control-Code-Repo-G... 

StephaneP
Alteryx
Alteryx

I guess you already know it, but you can also easily use this workflow comparison functionality. It is graphical but aslo generate a list of the differences:

StephaneP_0-1649625000178.png

StephaneP_1-1649625036818.png

Article here:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/How-to-Compare-Two-Workflows/ba-p/840936 

Stéphane Portier
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
Labels