community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

How to deal with periodical password reset in the Salesforce input tool

Highlighted
Meteoroid

Hi,

in my workflows I am making massive use of the Saleforce input tool.

My Salesforce password expires every 2 months and it is highly inconvenient to have to update all of the input tools called in all of the workflows.

Is anybody aware if there is a way to store the new password and security token somewhere and have the salesforce tool just read from there?

Thanks for your input

Katia

Alteryx Certified Partner

@Katia79 ,

You might be my 800th solution if you like a hack.  Suppose that you only had one workflow, would this be such an issue?  What if you create your own macro?  The macro would call the sharepoint connector and would pre-populate the password with your saved password.  You'd have to create all of the normal parameter updates as questions, but the password would be set within the connector macro and if you update the macro, it would update the password across all of your workflows.

In theory, this would minimize the disruption for you.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Meteoroid

Thanks for the feedback Mark!

I'm not familiar with macro's (yet!), but it looks to me that when I use the Salesforce input tool in a macro I still need to specify the Salesforce table to which I wish to connect, hence I'd need a macro for each table I use in the workflows?

@Katia79,

If your set of tables is limited, you can construct your own dropdown to choose from and still populate the result.  I do agree that changing passwords is problematic.  If a service account (non-expiring password) could be used within the workflows you would be happy as well.  I do encourage you to explore building macros.  You might start with academy macro recordings and try your hand at weekly challenges that include beginner macros.  Exploration of installed macros (right-click and open macro) would give you the ability to see the final answer to the macro construction.  If you are attending Inspire19 in Nashville, I will be conducting a CReW macro session which will include some tips & tricks with macros this year.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Meteoroid

Thank you! Indeed I'm also exploring the option of having a new account with no expiry date.

But I'll get myself up to speed with macro's as well!

Meteoroid

That's what I did, created a user with the "API Only User" system permission in the profile and with no password expiration.

Labels