community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

How to deal with changing column headers which are dates

Meteoroid

Hi all, 

How do you deal with column headers that are dates so will change every month?  I have to compile sales data by product for a monthly report.  I have a wildcard against a network drive to pull in all the reports for a specific month.  The drive has reports by week but there will also be daily reports if the days of the month do not fall perfecting within a weekly period.  So for example Feb 2019 would a file each for the day 2/1, then week of ending Feb 8, week ending Feb 15, week ending Feb 22 and then day of 2/23, day of 2/24, day of 2/25 and so on till day of 2/28.  So you can see every month would have a different number of files. I take the filenames to obtain the date as a separate column and then crosstab against the date to make those dates become column headers.  I have to have a sum by product category and a grand total.  As the summarize tool requires me to input the column headers, how do I get this to work every month if the column headers which are dates change every month?  I hope I'm not being super confusing!  I have attached a sample workflow to show my situation.  Thank you!   

Meteoroid

Ok, nevermind. I think I just found the answer in another post!  Put all the date columns into one column and then summarize and then put back into the table format.  

Labels