Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to customize sort order using drop down in an app?

papu_mengmeng
6 - Meteoroid

I'm hoping to design an app where user can specify the field to sort on and the sort order (ascending/descending). I'm not sure how to accomplish both requirements in one task. Has some one done this before and a walk through of the key configurations of actions on sort tool would be great!

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

like this?

sort order.png

papu_mengmeng
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your super quick reply!

I cross checked yours and mine and couldn't find the difference in the configs. However in mine, the sort doesn't seem to be executed correctly. I've attached my flow below. Could you please take a look?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Change the value of the first action tool like below

sort2.png

papu_mengmeng
6 - Meteoroid

This is what I have right now... Could you say more about the change and explain a little bit of why?

papu_mengmeng
6 - Meteoroid

For some reason, I can get it work now... If you could explain the mechanism of how alteryx recognize the inputs (sort by field, and sort order) that would be terrific! 

An extra applause if you could share an example about when to use "Replace a specific string" in the action config!

Thank you!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When you connect an Action tool to the top of another tool and select Update Value, you can pick which of the configurable fields in that tool you want to update. So if it's a sort tool, the configurable fields are the field to sort on and the sort order.

IN the original workflow you attached, both action tools were set to update the value of the sort order. The 1st one should be set to update the value of the field to sort on.

So the value coming through the action tool will replace to entire contents of the field you've selected to update. Unless, you check the Replace specific string box, in which case you can define a specific part of the string in the value field to be replaced.

Hope this makes sense.

Labels