Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to create a workflow to send a personal Tableau Dashboard link to individual emails?

Jennyman130
7 - Meteor

Dear all,

We have created a dashboard on Tableau that we want to send a person link/URL with customized view of dashboard (filter on each employee's name) to the employees' emails. So each person can only view their own dashboard. Is it possible to create a workflow that that send the personalized URL to a list of individual emails please?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Jennyman130

This is absolutely possible, I'm not sure how far you've got but I presume you already have a list with the URL and the email address of the person?

If so then you just need to add an email tool at the end of your workflow with a config something like this:

tableau email.PNG

Where the "to" field is the email address you wish to send to....and the "body" field is your link

Jennyman130
7 - Meteor

Thanks @LordNeilLord,

I have a list of email address, but only one Dashboard URL which I got when I published the Dashboard on Tableau Server that has no filter applied yet for each employee's name. I don't know how to get a personal URL for each individual for customized Dashboard view, is this something I do within Tableau or Alteryx?

Jennyman130
7 - Meteor

Let's say if I have 50 employees that require a customized view, do I need to publish it 50 times manually on tableau server to get the personal URL and then follow what you mentioned above to distribute through an email?

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Jennyman130

Most of this will depend on how your Tableau dashboard is setup but usually you have a filter with the users name (which they can choose) but you can make use of this using the URL parameters to change the URL for example:

http://tabserver/views/Sales/Q2?:person=Jane%20Doe

There is loads of info about this on the Tableau forums

Neil

Jennyman130
7 - Meteor

Ahicc, so this is something to do within Tableau, thanks a lot @LordNeilLord!!

Labels