Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to create a simple input form?

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi All.

Seems a bit of silly question, but is there any documentation or pointer to create a form? (gallery example is fine too for sample)

For example i want to create a form like registration form, like text field : name, address. Radio button for gender, drop down list for Hobby.

I know what tools to use to create, but seems i have difficulty connecting the data flow for these input tools.

Thanks,

Kevin

17 REPLIES 17
kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi kat,

So my case is like this:

i want to create a simple form that store the user input and insert it to the DB. Look simple enough.....

and then, i tried to create the UI using Interface Tool, i put the text field, date, dropdown list, and others.

Unfortunately, i can't find anything or how to store my input in the Interface Tool.

I realized then, there is a tool called Text Input where you can do manual input.

But in my case, the user shouldn't do input manually in the Alteryx Designer, but inside the Analytics Apps.

So i create an Action to Update the value previously i set in the Text Input tool, as i don't find action to store it directly or create new records.

After the data from the Interface tool inserted, then i can start to store it to the database. Which is i don't do any changes like show only certain field or anything, just directly move it to the DB.

By the way, what does it mean that i need something in the middle? you mean after i put the output tool, i need to connect it again somehow?

Thanks,

Kevin

kat
12 - Quasar

Ok, one more question, does the user need to see any of the data before knowing what to type into your input fields?

Building a single app doesn't work if the user needs to interact with the data halfway through the workflow. But if all you're doing is creating new records, then a single app can work.

Maybe you could post some screenshots/ share the workflow? That'll make it a lot easier to answer.

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi kat,

Yeah, now you mention it.

After inserting the new record, the user will review the input ( i think this can be achieve using Interface Designer, on success show output , but this one will show the Excel output file, don't know if it can be make to outright show you what are your input previously). The user no need to see any of the data before entering, and i bet they also know what to enter.....but after entering, they still need to review the input.

I have no issue doing data cleansing or transformation with alteryx, but creating analytics apps is new to me and a bit clunky (for example, i can't even find a button object here or creating reports).

Thanks,

Kevin

kat
12 - Quasar

@kevinalvino, ok - so that's exactly it - the user can't interact with the data while the workflow is running. That means that a review step isn't possible. The interface tools are only used as input into the workflow in the beginning and then the workflow runs. So to have some review it, you will need to export it to something like Excel.

What you might need to think about is whether doing step 1 via Alteryx makes the most sense. Perhaps the more logical approach here is for someone to key in the data into Excel and then just have and app that pulls this data into a DB.

kat
12 - Quasar

Just to add though, you can use a browse tool as well. This means you don't need to write your data anywhere.

Just remember to show your browse output, by going to the interface designer and selecting browse as an output.

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi kat,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last Question, and i think i'm good.

In my input form, if i entered the data, it will stored the data into the excel, but it doesn't close the Interface Designer Windows. If you click finish again, it will only run the same records. The only way is only to press Exit Button. Any possible alternative for this case? so when finish inputting the data, the windows will close by itself?

Right now, i'm still working in the Designer, but after i wrapped this out i want to move it into the gallery( Alteryx Server). Hope that in the gallery after user input the data it will close by itself....but who knows? i never use the gallery before, usually just localhost haha.

Thanks,

Kevin

kat
12 - Quasar

@kevinalvino 

No unfortunately you can't change those buttons or make it close by itself. I've had many a user be confused about what 'finish' means...

It's a little bit better on the server :)

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi kat,

Yep, even myself confused about what finish means...what this thing even doing beside exit button.

Hopefully like you said, it's a little bit better on the server. 

Thanks a lot,

Appreciate the help.

Kevin

Labels