Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to create a simple input form?

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi All.

Seems a bit of silly question, but is there any documentation or pointer to create a form? (gallery example is fine too for sample)

For example i want to create a form like registration form, like text field : name, address. Radio button for gender, drop down list for Hobby.

I know what tools to use to create, but seems i have difficulty connecting the data flow for these input tools.

Thanks,

Kevin

17 REPLIES 17
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @kevinalvino

A good source of documentation is the Creating Analytic Apps Interactive training.  These videos will guide your through the creation and layout of your UI.

Post back here if you have any specific issues or questions you're facing

Dan

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi @danilang,

Thanks for the link.

I have also following up the Training Classroom video provided from Alteryx and i think i can manage to create something simple.

Though i have a question, as this is analytics apps usually we get data from a source and using the interface tools, we do update or searching for a value for analytics and generate the output.

My Question, is it possible in the same Analytics Apps workflow after we finished created the input form and store it somewhere like excel, we continue to update the value in a Database?

I think it is possible in "separate" workflow, but for inside one workflow maybe you have any idea?

Thanks,

Kevin

kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @kevinalvino

One important thing to bear in mind is that Alteryx first loads the inputs from the interface and then executes the workflow. What this means is that you can't fetch data with your input form, update the record and then post it again. That would have to be 2 separate processes.

Hope that helps

Kat

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi kat,

So to do this, i need to first make a chaining app.

First app, to record the input and store it somewhere like excel.

Next app is to read the excel and update the value in the DB.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

Kevin

kat
12 - Quasar

@kevinalvino, just to make sure, are you updating your data in Excel in the middle?

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi kat,

The process is :

Using Interface Tool to Update using Action Tool and changes the value in the Text Input Tool and Stored it to an Excel ( I think i set drop everything, so there will be always 1 record here only for input. New input will drop previous entry)

Record of the Excel will be used to Append the record to the DB.

So yeah, i think this is count as Excel is in the middle of the process.

Thanks,

Kevin

kat
12 - Quasar

@kevinalvino, alright if you're not actually doing anything in Excel, then you don't need it in the middle. Instead of writing out to Excel, you can just write straight to the DB. You can incorporate any interface parameters into the first app and only have one.

kevinalvino
7 - Meteor

Hi kat,

Thanks for the input.

Would love to directly store it to the DB, but there is an issue here.

The excel part is to store my inputted value, as i need a placeholder in the field to enter a new record.

I don't think there is an action to just enter new data, only update data according to with row and column.

Thanks,

Kevin

kat
12 - Quasar

@kevinalvino - I see - are you updating your data with the second app then? yes, that would mean that you need something in the middle.

Are you only updating parts? I.e. keeping some of the fields?

Labels