Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to convert row categories into columns & replace row values with other column values?

Skyz
5 - Atom

Hello,

Am very new at Alteryx. Thank you for all the help in advance. 

I have data that looks like the following:

customer_idquestionanswer_chosen
1Q11
2Q25
3Q32
4Q14
5Q73

1) I am trying to convert the unique questions into column categories, and 2) replace the row values of the new columns with the respective answer_chosen value, else leave it empty or null, and then 3) append the new columns to the end of the original data set.

Results should look like the following:

customer_idquestionanswer_chosenQ1Q2Q3Q4Q5Q6Q7
1Q111      
2Q25 5     
3Q32  2    
4Q14 1      
5Q73      3

And the real data I have is very massive with more questions than above example.

Could you please help point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

~Sky

2 REPLIES 2
danrh
13 - Pulsar

You can do this with the Cross Tab tool:

image.png

Group by all your fields, select "question" for column headers and "answer_chosen" for values. The only issue I see is if you need to populate those questions that aren't present in the data (Q4-Q6 in your data). Will every question be present in your real data set? If so, this one tool can handle this.

Skyz
5 - Atom

Thank you for the quick reply. And yes, all questions do exist in the data set. I was thinking this was more complex. I did have to group by customer_id, but this did the trick. Thank you!

Labels