Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to convert DD-Mon-YYYY(string format) to DD-Mon-YYYY(string format) in date format

jyotibarai
5 - Atom

How to convert DD-Mon-YYYY(string format) to DD-Mon-YYYY(string format) in date format

I am using data from Postgre DB where I have Date format: 2020-01-21 and I am expecting the output 21-Jan-2020 as a Date data type in alteryx.

I have tried the approach from the below link but I am getting Null as output.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Date-Formatting-dd-Mon-YYYY/td-p/40915...

jyotibarai_0-1579612981308.png

Error Message 

ConvError: Formula (49): DATETIMEPARSE: Cannot convert "08-Dec-2019" to a date/time with format "%Y-%m-%d": Expected a number for Month: 'Dec-2019'

Output :

jyotibarai_1-1579613114401.png

Can anyone help to resolve this asap?

3 REPLIES 3
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jyotibarai Alteryx can only accept the format of a date as YYYY-MM-DD so that is why your output formula is not working. As I can see from your screenshot you have already formatted as DD-Mon-YYYY as a string field that is the only way Alteryx would be able to handle that date in that format being recognized  as a string field. If you need to perform any additional data time functions you would need to use the Visit column as that in the format Alteryx recognizes as a date format. 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @jyotibarai,

Are you looking for this? "DateTimeFormat([Field1],'%d-%b-%Y')"

Untitled.png

This dates can only be format as String. To have them output as date they have always to be in yyyy-mm-dd format.

Regards

jyotibarai
5 - Atom
Thank you all for helping me and providing a quick response to this. I am using the excel file to write the data and it is exporting back as a string because of Alteryx string output. So now the only option left with me is to use the Excel Macro to convert that into a date. 
Labels