Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to continue the workflow when some input data is missing?

horse9118
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I have a workflow that takes in a spreadsheet with 1 main tab and multiple supplemental tabs. I'm reading in the sheet list along with the file path, then use a formula to combine the 2, and finally feed that into a dynamic input tool in order extract the data from each tab. After that I use a series of joins in order to combine everything into 1 big data set. Everything works great except the supplemental tabs don't appear all the time. So if I feed in a spreadsheet that's missing a tab (like in the below screenshot). The workflow would throw out a parse error and stop working all together. I'm ok with no joining the missing tabs so how do I make the workflow ignore the error and keep going? 

tempsnip.png

4 REPLIES 4
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @horse9118 ,

After your dynamic input tools, you can add a record ID tool and a transpose tool, where you will group by the new record ID field and transpose all other columns. Then you can apply the filter with a slightly altered condition.

[Name]!="F5" AND !ISEMPTY([Value])

In this manner you will not reference [F5] column explicitly and the filter tool will not error. Then before your dynamic rename tool, you can add a cross tab to bring your table to the original structure.

Hope that helps,

Angelos

horse9118
7 - Meteor

Can you provide an example? 

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @horse9118 

From the workflow layout, it looks like for each of the supplement tabs, you apply the same processing before you combine them into 1 big tab.

In this case, I think you can use a batch macro to read only the supplementary tabs that are present in the file. Depending on how the tabs are named - if there are certain rules that can help you identify the supplementary tabs, then you can use a Data Input Tool to read the sheet names only, then apply a filter to keep only the supplementary tabs for further processing in a batch macro.

This is the method that I often use to process financial data such as monthly management accounts / GL where I do not know for sure all which tabs will be / will not be there.

Dawn.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@horse9118 of course, can you provide a sample workflow with some mock data that we can work on please?

Labels