Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to connect to Simmons data set

MKosmicki
8 - Asteroid

I am having trouble finding the Simmons data set. I can see that it has installed, but is not showing in my tool sets. I have Alteryx Designer with Data and am under the understanding that the Simmons data is included with that install.

I see it is with the CAPE data when installed, but I have not found a way to append or acces it yet.

Can someone tell me how to access the data set?

Thanks!

Michelle

6 REPLIES 6
JonA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Michelle,

Utilize your Allocate Input tool to select the geography and Simmons-specific variables as shown below. You can access those variables once you've chosen the 'Experian US - Most Recent Vintage' dataset...as shown here:

Simmons.jpg

MKosmicki
8 - Asteroid

Thank you JonA! Now I see it.

Yay!

Michelle

JonA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Great! If your workflow doesn't start with the allocate input tool, you can also use the Allocate Append tool to match the same variables.

zacharydemby
5 - Atom

Hello! Quick question regarding the actual data from the Simmons Product Profiles. Are the data points the number of people (within the designated area) that have responded "Yes" to the survey question (e.g. they use or buy After Shave/Cologne)? or is the number an index (e.g. XX more likely to buy After Shave/Cologne than the baseline US population)? The documentation is not entirely clear to me. 

Thanks.

MKosmicki
8 - Asteroid

From what I understand, the Simmons data is at the household level by geography.  You can't get individual household responses.

However, you can pull total households and Simmons response households for a geographic region (say ZIP Code) and create an index.

By the way, it's not only the Simmons data, but also behavior bank and MOR bank data that is at the geographic area household level.

Michelle

LonnieY
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Adding a few more comments:

The quarterly documentation holds an overview of Simmons:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Products-Knowledge-Base/Q2-2017-US-Data-documentation/ta-p/763...(Simmons Overview.pdf) and is available in the Knowledge Base for Data Products.

The Simmons datasets in the Allocate tools are built from the individual responses from surveys then combined with Mosaic clusters to estimate potential usage for behaviors, products and services for any geography. However, values from the Allocate tools are not an actual count of people/households who responded "Yes" to a survey question. The estimates are modeled/scaled for estimation at a geographic level.

Simmons reports from the Allocate Report tool reflect an index for usage instead of potential users. Values from the Allocate tools reflect potential adults or households (or percents) for additional manipulation like creating indices. Below is an example of a standard Simmons report from the Allocate Report tool.

Simmons_report_example.png

ConsumerView Behavior Bank fields are not part of our Standard Data Bundle (but can be licensed from Experian) while MOR is included. These fields are at the household level and could be summarized to a geographic level. Another document, named Alteryx X216 Q2 Consumerview W Phone Opt 2 EI Condensed Counts.xls, reflects the response coverage for the ConsumerView fields.

Both datasets are great tools for adding insights when actual customer information isn't available.  Lonnie

Labels