Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to configure Box and Whisker Plots in Charting Tool

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I'm seeking information on how to configure the Charting Tool to create a Box and Whisker Plot. Currently I take a product of one of my Alteryx Apps and run it through Tableau to create this type of visualization:

Capture.PNG

For my use case, the individual employees (labeled as 'assignee' in my data below) are represented on the x axis and the 'hours old' are represented on the y axis.

I'm not expecting Alteryx to be as "fancy" but I'd like to include this type of chart so the recipients of this report can see a visual preview of the data. In other words: I want to include a box and whisker plot in the email body of the email render tool, in addition to linking the user to the Tableau view with more details - such as the status (red/green).

This configuration...

Capture.PNG

... produces this view:

Capture.PNG

I can't find any information on how to configure this tool. What is possible?

5 REPLIES 5
MaureenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I think this could be based on the way that your data is setup before going into the tool.  It needs to be summarized.  Does this workflow help to illustrate?

Sr. Solutions Engineer
Alteryx
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@MaureenW Thank you for your response!

I'm on Designer Version 11.3 and I can't open the attachment. Can you send a compatible version or screenshots?

MaureenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Try this one.  Not sure it will work in 11.0 but I changed the version to that.  If it doesn't work, I'll try again or send a screenshot.

Let me know

Sr. Solutions Engineer
Alteryx
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Success! Thank you, @MaureenW!

Here's some screen shots of the configuration that worked for me:

Summarize:
Capture.PNG

Charting:

Capture.PNG

Output:

Capture.PNG

dshaw
8 - Asteroid

@MaureenW

Hi Maureen -- I am using Alteryx 2018.3 and I would like to build a Box and Whisker plot.  It seemed to be easier with the previous version you showed here, but I am not sure how to use the new interactive charting tool to accomplish the same thing.  Can you share a demo to create the Box & Whisker with the new interactive charting tool?

Thanks,

Derreck

Labels