Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to combine text across 3 records that share a common id

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

How can I combine text (descriptions, 1 for each year) across 3 records that share a common task Id? 

Individually, I know the Summary tool can be used to sum the values across years.  But, how can I combine the descriptions into one field (separated by the year - as text)? 

FROM -->

Task Description201620172018
N-002yada yada yada2400
N-002blah blah blah0180
N-002yap yap yap0029

TO -->

TaskDescription201620172018
N-002

2016:  yada yada yada;

2017:  blah blah blah;

2018: yap yap yap

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

I've attached an example workflow with two methods that solve this problem.  The top method is "Static".  It works only for the years 2016, 2017, and 2018, and would need to be actively touched to work in the future, as the formula and summarize will not work for other values.  However, it is a pretty simple option (two formulas and a Summarize).

The bottom example is "Dynamic", and will work for any set of years (and any number of years).  It should work regardless of any other changes, so it will work just as well in 2019 as it does today.

This option is somewhat more complex (I used 7 tools to make it), but should take less maintenance.

I hope this helps!

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the sample workflow for your case. Hope this is helpful. 

WorkflowWorkflowResultsResults

Labels