Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to combine 400 workflows into one data set

MariaSmor
5 - Atom

I have 400 identical workflows (one workflow per quarter), and I need to aggregate the data from all of them in one excel spreadsheet. How to connect each workflow with "Union" icon without drawing lines connecting every workflow with "Union" icon? Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
morr-co
10 - Fireball

Hi @MariaSmor : can you clarify what you mean by 400 workflows? What is the input for your workflows? Is it a data file? If so, you could use a Batch Macro to read all of the inputs (files) and combine them into a common output. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@MariaSmor 
If the workflow are really "identical" except for input, then instead of 400 flows, maybe a batch marco can do the same.

Then the output of macro can be a union.

MariaSmor
5 - Atom

Hi! The input for a workflow is an excel spreadsheet. I collect certain data from a spreadsheet (80 fields) and I have already collected data form 400 files. I need to use "Union" icon to combine data form each of the workflow, but then I need to create a link between each workflow and "Union" icon 400 times.

MariaSmor
5 - Atom

Thank you! I'll try to learn about batch macro.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@MariaSmor you may benefit from taking a look at this link: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/The-Ultimate-Alteryx-Holiday-gift-of-2015-Read-ALL-Exc...

It covers the concept of a macro being used to read in an entire directory of files all at the same time AND it provides the macro for your use! Take a look and let me know what you think. 

aghani006
7 - Meteor

Agree with others. Its better to use batch macros with conditions.

MariaSmor
5 - Atom

Hi BrandonB! I understand that I can use the macro to collect data from multiple excel spreadsheet, but if the data is already collected (as I said I have 400 individual workflows), can I connect 400 workflows without drawing connecting lines 400 times? Thank you! 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@MariaSmor
Maybe the  Chained Analytic Applications can help.
I read somewhere that CReW Macros having this "List Runner", which allow you run workflows in order.

aghani006
7 - Meteor

The chained app will have to be configured 400 times. Probably the crew macros.

Labels