Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to choose dynamically file path/file name and how to parametrize value during run time

areeba
8 - Asteroid

Hi ,

I am new to Alteryx , can you help me with this situation.

Presently I am working on a remote environment but in 2 days I will be integrating it to my own machine and in my output columns many of them are hard coded , and I will loose them while integration .Is there a solution by which I don't need to do hardcoding , I want to use them as parameter values and I can dynamically choose file name/file path, as I will be working in shared drives.

Thanks

Areeba

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @areeba 

For the file path you can use relative path instead of absolute path. So that if the folder structure is maintained the links wont break.

And one more way is using export to Alteryx package option which wrap all your files together.

Menu Bar > Options > Export workflow

Hope this helps 🙂

BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @areeba, the solution presented by @atcodedog05 is a great suggestion - tagging along on this, here's how that would look.

Let's say at the moment, your Output files write to an Excel file, such as:

BrianR_0-1602076225598.png

What relative naming would look like is this - instead of the hard-coded C:\tempwork\...., using a notation like this would save the file in the same directory as your workflow:

BrianR_1-1602076414567.png

That .\ notation will write into the same directory, while ..\ will write into the directory one level up.

Also should be noted, that if you do want to parameterize these, take a look at the File Browse tool in the Interface group (https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/file-browse-tool) - you can connect that to your Output Data tool and at runtime, you can select the desired output folder.

Regards,

Brian

areeba
8 - Asteroid

Hi @BrianR 

My txt file is 13,8mb . So whenever I upload this file in gallery it gives a pop up message as : File Upload Error (Requested File is either too large or the format is unsupported).

I am uploading the file with File browse tool.

Can you Please help me with this.

Regards

Areeba

BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @areeba, apologies for the delay!

Regarding this - I have done some testing on my own - I do not believe it's a file size issue...i.e., I tested with a ~100MB file and it worked fine both in Designer as well as Gallery on Alteryx Server. I did find some prior posts though related to a similar issue. Can you test this - in your Action tool, change the action to Update Value as shown below:

BrianR_0-1603897970575.png

And see if this works. For your reference, this earlier post, while not an exact match for your error, may be relevant (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/The-Action-tool-reports-error-that-quot-...). 

In any case, give that a try and let me know if that produces a better result.

Labels