Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to change the default output path?

Nethaji_5
7 - Meteor

Hello All,

I'm a newbie in Alteryx.

I have two folders "Input and Output" in my file explorer. I'm trying to get the input dynamically from the input folder and split the data into the output folder.

But Alteryx saved the file in the default bin folder, please provide me the solution to save the file in my Output folder.

Also attached the workflow for reference, please provide me the solution to resolve this issue.

Alteryx Workflow:

Nethaji_5_0-1602681775898.png

Folder Structure:

Nethaji_5_1-1602681856808.png

Data Set:

Nethaji_5_2-1602681899154.png

Thanks,

Nethaji

11 REPLIES 11
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Nethaji_5 

This is really strange it should not happen.

Can you move the files to desktop and try

Additionally, Here is a sample file can save it on desktop and run it and tell where the output file is creates.

I will help you troubleshoot 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Nethaji_5 

I have modified your workflow only i wont be able to run since i dont have the folder.

Output:

atcodedog05_0-1602682653426.png

It might be caused because of name field you might want to check the name column loaded to formula tool.

Hope this helps🙂

Nethaji_5
7 - Meteor

Hi @atcodedog05

I'm seeing the same result even after saved the folder on the desktop.  The input file name may change in the future that is the reason I used the dynamic input tool to load the data. 

I'm really curious about how the Alteryx works. I need to store the split output in the output folder. Please LMK if you have any suggestions. 

Nethaji_5_1-1602683329922.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Nethaji_5 

Since you are using directory tool it will get all the file in the folder selected.

And if you want to place the files in a folder output you use formula this way.

"Output\"+[Name]+".xlsx|||Sheet1"

Make sure the folder are preexisting before writing.

atcodedog05_0-1602683829588.png

You can check and let me know.

Hope this helps 🙂

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Nethaji_5 

Does the field "Name" contain the exact file path for the output folder? Not being able to see your data, my best guess is it isn't pointing to the place where you want to store the data. Check that first when you run the workflow.

You could always try playing around with Constants (https://help.alteryx.com/2019.4/Constants.htm) to assign the location for the Output folder as well, in this workflow.

Cheers!

Esther

Nethaji_5
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I tried lots of way but nothing works for me.

This is my requirements:

1. Pick the file from the input folder dynamically

2. Split the data into individual file based on column "name"

3. Save the files in the Output folder. 

Still I didn't have any idea why the alteryx store the files in the default bin folder. 

If anything I missed out in the formula please LMK. This will be very helpful.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Nethaji_5 

are you able to post a snapshot of your data before the output tool, so that we can look into your fields that are driving the output?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Nethaji_5 

I agree with @estherb47  can we see the column Name and Path before Output tool.

The concern might be with name.

As you tried you can see is works perfectly fine on desktop saving in the mentioned.

Not sure whats happening in document. Is the workflow properly saved in the location before running.

Running workflow without saving (i,e not even saved once) have a chance of creating this issue.

Nethaji_5
7 - Meteor

Thanks Esther, atcodedog05

Got your point, I didn't saved the workflow before running. Right now I'm trying to implement this task on original dataset and let u know in case of any issues. 

Nethaji_5_0-1602688708750.png

Labels