Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to change all entries with X common factor to output a selected value that overrides

greenv1nes
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

this is a little difficult to put into words so hopefully this explanation makes sense:

So I am working with a dataset that is a record of all product transactions. Therefore, 1 customer may have multiple lines in the dataset, under their name. I also have another column that assigns the customer as A/B/C. The vast majority of the entries are assigned C. However, I want to re-assign my data in that if even one of the customer's entry lines has an A or B, then all of the C's will be overridden and changed to the A or B necessary. I have a hunch that I'll need to start by using the Summarize tool to do a "Group by" Customer Name?

I've attached a sample excel file, as well as a screenshot of the file to depict the issue.

Thank you all so much in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Have you tried summarize tool group by your customer name/min  [current assignment]?

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @greenv1nes ,

Here is a workflow implementing the logic you described !

So basically it filters and group customer that have A or B in one row then use a join to retrieve those customer and change their assignment. Finally it unions all customers together.

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@apathetichell is way simpler ! Don't use mine !

greenv1nes
6 - Meteoroid

Ah thank you so much for your reply! The issue I'm having is that my dataset is too large for me to go in and fill in a "desired assignment." Is there a way around manually preparing the column I need?

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

With @apathetichell's solution you don't need to fill in a new column !

Here is the workflow but accept @apathetichell post as solution, all credit goes to him !

tferenc007
7 - Meteor

Hi greenv1nes

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@Jean-Balteryx  I am working on a tell-all memoir entitled "Count Distinct Non Null: Secrets of the Summarize Tool."  Definite best seller material.

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@apathetichell I'd be the first buyer !

greenv1nes
6 - Meteoroid

Amazing, thank you!

Labels