Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to cancel workflow in case of inconsistency in input file

induslad
7 - Meteor

Hello - I'm Alteryx newbie. I am developing a workflow which fetches data from MS Access and after adding some additional fields using formula tool writing to a Oracle database. Now I would like to place some checkpoints. In our case I need to validate whether the source table's attribute/column name has not changed.If the name (case sensitive) changes or even columns are added to deleted, the workflow should not run and send an email to distribution list to inform them to fix the source file along with what changes has been made. If everything looks good from source file then run the workflow and send success email.

I was able to make some progress by looking at following video and tried implementing "Block Until Done" but problem is that it still writes records in target file even when errors out (Message Tool).Please see similar sample workflow (screenshot) which I created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_WJiTJa8u0

I really appreciate any help on this.

8 REPLIES 8
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Can you post a screenshot of the conig of your message tool?

induslad
7 - Meteor

@benmoss thanks for quick response. I've updated OP with my message config screenshot.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Anyhow, here's how I would configure the setup, using tthe parallel block until done which is part of the crew macro pack and the test tool.

2018-04-25_15-31-22.png

Ben

induslad
7 - Meteor

Sorry I am unable to open the file as I am still on 11.02.25199. Could you please explain what each step is doing? Really appreciate your help!

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

It's almost identical to what you were trying to achieve.

I perform a union of the two data streams which would indicate if the input file was different to it's template. The TEST tool is set to error if the count does not equal zero.

The parallel block until done will perform the 1st stream before it performs the 2nd stream, thus the error will trigger before the output stream has started to write.

The crew macro pack can be found here: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

Ben

induslad
7 - Meteor

I tried to recreate it based on your explanation but records are still processing instead of error. What am I missing?

induslad
7 - Meteor

I am still struggling with this. Any suggestions?

induslad
7 - Meteor

@BenMoss Finally I'm able to resolve it. I changed it little bit where the message tools had to be before "parallel block until done" tool. It's working great. Thanks for all your help.

Labels