Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to burst/produce multiple lines of a data row using a variable?

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Was wondering what's the best way to go about being able to burst a data row into multiple rows (like lower level of detail) that would sum to the original data row if you have the variable for the burst # of rows?

For example: If I have this data

Grocery Aisle #   |   # of Shelves   |   # of Products  --> With # of Shelves as my variable to burst to the # of rows

1                             2                         4

2                             3                         9

How do I use Alteryx to produce this:

Grocery Aisle #   |   # of Shelves   |   # of Products   

1                             1                         2 --> Aisle 1 was divided into 2 (# of Shelves); Sum of Products still at 4 Total

1                             1                         2

2                             1                         3 --> Aisle 2 was divided into 3 (# of Shelves); Sum of Products still at 9 Total

2                             1                         3

2                             1                         3

7 REPLIES 7
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Cathy_L 

What should happen if the # of products is not evenly divisible by the # of shelves?

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your questions, Luke_C, and good question!

My use case actually deals with amounts instead of # of products so it should be okay if it's not evenly divisible. Decimals would be okay. Thank you!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Cathy_L 

You can use the generate row tool paired with some formulas to take care of this: 

Luke_C_0-1649424477701.png

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much, Luke_C!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm a newbie with Alteryx and have this project with a requirement of the burst rows in a different sheet (using a spreadsheet app Excel or GSheet) than the original data sheet. So output would have 2 sheets: Sheet1 with original non-burst data, and Sheet2 with the burst data.

Would your Alteryx solution change with this requirement? (Apologies I didn't have this in my original post.)

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Cathy_L 

No I don't think so, I would just have an output tool connected to the original input, and an output tool connected to the burst data.

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Thank you again so much, Luke_C! Very much appreciate your help!

Cathy_L
7 - Meteor

Hi @Luke_C - I posted another question here. Hoping you could come to the rescue again! Thank you!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Suggestions-on-how-to-append-a-quot-co...

Labels