Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to avoid formulas/tools breaking due to "missing cell"

alexcellings
7 - Meteor

Hi all, big shout out to this community as several of you have helped me tremendously. I have a beautiful workflow that @Maskell_Rascal has helped me build (essentially built it for me) and I have one last follow up question before it is complete.

This is an example of what my matrix looks like before it goes through the workflow. Several of the tools and formulas reference cell A1 and the catch is that cell A1 can be different for the end user. It could be DB02, DB04 etc. in which case all of the formulas would break and trigger "missing" for all the tools.

How do I make the workflow rename or ignore that cell so that the end user does not have to modify formulas or tool inputs. It can change to anything and does not have to reflect its original value at the end.

alexcellings_0-1611871940894.png

Again huge thanks to Maskell and others who have helped me. I've never found a community more willing to help people learn.

8 REPLIES 8
lnguyen
8 - Asteroid

are you wanting to make the change directly back to this excel file minus cell A1? if you are pulling in the value for cell A1 as the constant for other calculation done in alteryx, it should not matter what those value would be. Unless the value is null then you would need a conditional respond in case of null built in. I am confused as what exactly that you want to do with this. Perhaps attach the workflow next time?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@alexcellings 

if this cell A1 is the column name, how about the use a select tool to rename it to a fixed name.

alexcellings
7 - Meteor

See attached example workflow. Obviously I cannot attach the real thing for confidentiality reasons but if you'd like to see what I am saying, change the value in cell A1 to DB04 or anything you want and notice how the transpose tool and formula tool no longer work before they are looking for that old original value.

Basically I am wondering if it's possible to have either 1) a dynamic formula & transpose tool that won't be dependent on that cell being exactly the same. or 2) Is there a way to replace that cell with something so that the tools and formulas will work regardless of which "DB03, DB04" is uploaded?

alexcellings_0-1611873383226.png

alexcellings
7 - Meteor

Yes it is a column header and I had the same thought initially and that (select tool rename) is the first thing I tried. 

Unfortunately what happens is when you upload the next Matrix file with a different column header in cell A1 the select tool no longer can find the old "Example DB03" column header to rename to our fixed "Database" value and so it doesn't rename anything. 

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @alexcellings 

With a couple modifications, you can make the workflow non-dependent on the headers. 

First make sure that your Input tool is configured to treat the first row as data like this:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1611874609858.png

Then we'll add a Sample tool to skip the first row, and the rest of the workflow will work as needed after updating the selections/formulas. 

Maskell_Rascal_1-1611874688191.png

Attached is an updated workflow. 

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

alexcellings
7 - Meteor

I had no idea the transpose tool did not require that header. Man you should charge for this service you are amazing! Can't thank you enough.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@alexcellings 
Turns out it needs more than a select tool

Capture12.PNG

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @alexcellings 

I just noticed in that last workflow I sent that since we are skipping line one, it screwed up our downstream formula for concatenating the results with the header. I added a multi-row formula tool to this new version that corrects the problem. 

Version 3 Results:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1611877281979.png

You can see that the combined Results field says APF23,JR instead of AP13,JR

Version 4 Results:

Maskell_Rascal_1-1611877352109.png

Sorry about the screw up there. 

Attached is the updated workflow.

Thanks!

Phil

Labels