Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to auto select the new columns into the existing Unique tool in alteryx

Aparanjith
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

We have a workflow which gets data from a file on daily basis, and we have Unique tool in place which has all columns selected in it to avoid any duplicates. But we have a chance of getting new columns added to the source file, because of which the data is going to the D output in the unique tool. Is there any way we can auto select all the columns in unique tool if a new column is added on the source file?

2 REPLIES 2
Elias_Nordlinder
11 - Bolide

Hello @Aparanjith,

I think that this solution by danielang in a previous post for a similar issue can solve your problem if I understand it correct?
I have attached the workflow as well.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Unique-tool-with-Dynamic-or-Unknown-Op...

I can explain what it does below.
1. RecordID             Important to be able to join back the fields to the beginning after the transformations

2. Transpose Tool   As you want to have a dynamic input transposing the data will solve this issue as the unique tool later will not look at specific column of the original data, but of the transposed data where all new columns will be included.

3. Unique Tool  1     Now you can utilize the unique tool when the data is transposed. This first unique tool will look at unique values between the original columns.

4. Unique Tool 2      This second Unique Tool will transform the data to the same number of rows as the original data, ready to be joined back with the original data again.

5. Join                     The data is joined back to the original data and you do now have a dynamic Unique Tool.

Elias_Nordlinder_0-1627362226259.png

Let me  know if you have any questions and take a look at the thread with Danielang where they have some discussions regarding this use case 🙂

//Best Regards

Elias

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Labels