Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to append(add suffix) output file name with first value of a column in input file?

areeba
8 - Asteroid

I have got a requirement in which I need to append(add suffix) output file name with first value of a column in input file.

My input file has date_column. I need to add the first row value of this column to the output file(excel) as suffix.

Please suggest.

21 REPLIES 21
vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@areeba — Can you attach sample data for input and desired output, both?

PhilipL
Alteryx
Alteryx

@areeba 

See the attached. I believe this is close to what you are asking.

Split the date from the rest of the data, then build the output file name as a string.

Hope this helps. If it does, please mark as solved.

Thanks,

Phil

areeba
8 - Asteroid

@PhilipL

Please see attached example_file that also has sample data.

I need to fetch first value of column date_delivered and suffix it the file output file name.

So the output file name should be like example_file_1-1-2020 in this case.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @areeba ,

Here is a workflow for the task.

Input: 

atcodedog05_0-1601720336725.png

Set below option in input tool to get filename 

atcodedog05_1-1601720366899.png

Output:

atcodedog05_2-1601720407497.png

Created file name based on first value

Workflow

atcodedog05_3-1601720435093.png

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind😀👍

areeba
8 - Asteroid

Hi Atcodedog05,

Thank you for your reply. Yes , it matched my requirements but not 100%. 

areeba_0-1601820623795.png

Please see this above screenshot this is my workflow and as you can see my output file name is different than my input file. My input file has that column (c029) whose first row value (2020-06-30) needs to be attached/concatenate with my output file name i.e. My output file name should appear like this 'New_cpa_Adjustment_2020-06-30.xlsx'. I am able to fetch this column c029 before Summarize tool , after this I am stuck to proceed. can you help ?

Since I am new to Alteryx ,my apologies that I couldn't make you understand clearly.

Thanx

Areeba

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @areeba ,

With few modifications provided solution will work for requirement.

Give me some sample data about 5 rows should do and the workflow i can modify it for you 🙂

areeba
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Please find attached sample file.

Thank you

Areeba

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @areeba ,

Here is the modified workflow.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_2-1601825223103.png

Where you see only c029 selected that branch it taking the first row value. Formula is used to set the filename. And make sure your calculation OutputFileName is going till the end to output tool.

Output:

atcodedog05_3-1601825285310.png

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

areeba
8 - Asteroid

Hi atcodedog05,

Thank you for the solution, it did append the date at the end of outputfile name but but i figured that my outputfile has a extra column called 'OutputFileName' which my client doesn't want to see.IF i deselect that with the help of SELECT Tool then my output throws error.Please see below the screenshot of workflow.

areeba_1-1601989786007.png

Also, Is it possible that i parameterized my input and output file like on run time i pass the values?

Thanks.

Areeba

Labels