Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to add a column which counts duplicates record ?

CDON
7 - Meteor
Hello, I am a beginner, and I've tried to find via the discussions the solution of my problem. Unfortunately I haven't...so hopefully you will be able to help me out with this : I have a table below; I need to count how many duplicates I have in the column ID NUMBER; and put the result in a new column COUNT. So then, I can calculate the real amount by doing as follow = Amount/Count. In Excel, the formula is COUNTIF Which tool can I use ? Thanks in advance for your input, CDON
4 REPLIES 4
GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @CDON,

try the Summarize tool. Select Client ID and then add a Group By action and a Count action. This will give you a table with 2 columns, Client ID and Count, which you can Join back to your original table, but Client ID to append the Count to your original table.

Hope it makes sense. It should be pretty straightforward once you've understood how the Summarize tool work (click on the tool > Open Example to see how to use it).

Would also recommend the Alteryx for Excel users interactive lessons in the Academy section.

Hope this helps!

Giuseppe

bpatel
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @CDON ,

you can use the summarize tool to count number of duplicates and the join tool to add it back to your original data set. i attached a workflow as an example. i hope this helps!

CDON
7 - Meteor
Thanks a lot. It did work !! What a wonderful tool and great Community !!
CDON
7 - Meteor
Thank you Giusseppe, with the attached I received from someone I could make it.
Labels