Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to add a Thousands Separator with ToString or other way?

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

Hello!

I am in the Adapt program and I pulled in my own data for the first time to play around with it. It has been going well and I am feeling good in general in my understanding of the core tools. Hooray!

BUT:

I ran into a problem trying to add a thousands separator to a field. I do not want decimals. This is how I configured it in Formula Tool: 

ToString([Steps per Month],0,1)

However I am not getting the thousands separator. I tried changing the data type and nothing seems to do it.

What am I doing wrong? Is there an alternative way to do this without turning my datatype to a string? Why would one have to convert a numeric datatype to a string in order to add a thousands separator, it seems odd. It's a little thing but it feels like something I should be able to do and do quickly. 

Thanks so much!

StellaBon

7 REPLIES 7
seven
12 - Quasar

Hi,

Alteryx does not allow for commas and other characters to be in a Numeric data type field. There is no other way outside of the reporting suite to add these commas to a Numeric field. A great way is to use the Multi-Field formula tool to convert the field to a String and add a thousands separator. I have included an image to show how you can do it as well as a before and after.

seven_0-1595108453591.png

Before:

seven_1-1595108480817.png

After:

seven_2-1595108493886.png

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

Ah, ok thank you for clarifying. Yes I was playing with the interactive chart tool and just trying to get my numbers into a more viewer friendly format. Thanks,

StellaBon

seven
12 - Quasar

@StellaBon 

Please mark this as an accepted solution. Thank you.

jjimenez
8 - Asteroid

Hello Seven,

I understand the ",0" is the round with no decimal. Why does adding ",1" get us commas? 

jjimenez_0-1665936488289.png

DenisZ
11 - Bolide

@jjimenez, the third parameter is the thousand separator. ToString is constructed as follows: 

ToString(x, numDec, [addThousandsSeparator], [decimalSeparator])

Thus, adding 1 in the  [addThousandSeparator] will give you the commas (by default). Please visit Conversion Functions | Alteryx Help for more detailed info if you want to change to dot instead of comma. 

PDempsey
7 - Meteor

This is rounding up my amounts, how can I get it to always show 2 decimal places?

PDempsey_0-1687366921806.png

Sering
5 - Atom

@pdempsey removing the zero and replacing it with a 2 will show 2 decimal places. 

Please mark this as solved if this helps.

Labels