Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Sum two Excel Files

Hongli1216
8 - Asteroid

I have two Excel files with the exact same formats. How to add the table 1 to table 2 to get table 3. I really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Table 1   Table 2   Table 3  
ItemsALAK ItemsALAK ItemsALAK
Sales   100   200 Sales         200         300 Sales           300           500
Gain   300   400 Gain       400       600 Gain           700       1,000
Mis Income   200   300 Mis Income       500       600 Mis Income           700           900

Holly

4 REPLIES 4
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'd start off by creating a consolidated list of all of your records. You can do this dynamically with a wildcard in your input, or just use a union tool. After that, you can pivot your data using transpose to get all values in one column, then pivot back using the cross tab. The crosstab can be configured to automatically sum all values where they have the same header and item name.

You could also do a join with both tables, but then you'd need to create the sum for each column individually. The way I've laid out is dynamic and will handle any number of columns.

echuong1_0-1597265576168.png

Hope this helps!

Hongli1216
8 - Asteroid

Hi Echuong,

Thanks for your quick response! The value added correctly. I'm wondering whether the Items column can keep the original order. Right now the output changed the order of Items in ascending. Please advise! 

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes! You can add a record ID to keep the original order.

echuong1_0-1597267723068.png

Hongli1216
8 - Asteroid

Hi Echuong,

It's awesome! Thanks for your solution! Save me a lot time! 

Labels