Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Split a huge file into multiple ones based on column

rachelzhou
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I have a huge consolidated file and I need help splitting them into multiple smaller files based on the column content. 

The column content is having A,B,C....

I need to split it into file A with this column filtered on A, file B with this column filtered on B, etc. 

How should i create a workflow, thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @rachelzhou 

Can you provide some sample input and expected output It will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

We will be happy to help : )

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @rachelzhou ,

what do you think about this solution:

You create the full filename (including path and extension) using a formula tool and set the option to take the output file name from a field. All filtering is done by the output tool!

2022-02-16_17-38-05.jpg

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

rachelzhou
6 - Meteoroid

For example, in input file first column "name" have capital, codale, cooper, etc.. output file is selected based on the names, capital as an example and i need to do the same for rest of the names. Thanks. 

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Using your sample files, I modified the workflow a bit, result are Excel files now.

saveeshkumar
9 - Comet

Hi @rachelzhou ,

Please find the workflow.

saveeshkumar_0-1645031286319.png

Thanks

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @rachelzhou 

Here is how you can do it.

1st generate the filename with full path like below. If file is not specified file will be outputted to the folder where the workflow was.

atcodedog05_0-1645031350035.png

2nd configure the output to create new file for each filename by configuring like below.

atcodedog05_1-1645031413023.png

Hope this helps : )

Labels