community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

How to: Schedule/create job to pick up a file using a dynamic file name

Meteor

What is the BEST way to schedule a job that picks up a file with the following naming convention (YYYYMMDDFilename.csv). 

I am new to Alteryx so understanding the way it works is important and i admit I am not up to speed.  If you can provide an example of how you were able to create a scheduled workflow to use the prior days date/time with the filename dynamically - that is exactly what we are looking for. 

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.  I do appreciate it tremendously. 

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @BuckeyeJane ,

"Best" is subjective but here's the approach I would favour. I've included the workflow and a screen recording of the build.

Because the workflow requires a folder of files to work I've attached this all in a ZIP folder.

If you have any questions just reply here and I'll be happy to explain further, but the basic process is:

1) Create a dummy field for the filename in a Text Input tool

2) Use the Formula tool to build a new filename for yesterday's date

3) Connect to a Dynamic Input tool and update the filename from the Formula tool

-----

If I've answered your question please consider marking this solution as accepted. Thank you!

Meteor

Thank you for your help Jamie.  I do have a couple of additional questions. 

1.  Does this solution pick up the most recent file in the file folder?   

2.  I am trying to  utilize this workflow using UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path location.  Would I need to add some additional steps to account for the UNC path?

Labels