Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Return Field Names based on cell values

csh8428
11 - Bolide

I have a data set that looks like this

NameHas HRHas BenHas Pay
JohnYNN
MikeNYY

I can't figure out how to get a new column that lists the column names for that row where the value = "N"

For example, the result should look like this

NameHas HRHas BenHas PayMissing
JonYNNHas Ben, Has Pay
MikeNYYHas HR

I was toying with dynamic select, but couldn't quite get it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Craig

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would approach this by creating the [Missing] field, then joining that back to the original data. To create this field, I used a Transpose, Filter, and Summarize tool.

20200114-AddField.png

Check out the attached example and let me know if that works for you. 

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @csh8428 ,

to create the "Missing" column, I would transpose the values to rows, delct the "N" rows and concatenate using the summarize tool. Then you have to join the new column to the original data and you are done. I've attached a sample workflow. Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Roland

csh8428
11 - Bolide

Thanks!! that worked. I knew I would have to use the summarize function at some point in that tool-set, but couldn't' get that first part.

koshodi
6 - Meteoroid

Just out of curiosity, how could we tweak this to return just the first occurrence of Value = "N" per record? 

I'm aware a text-to-columns tool would achieve the same effect but just curious if there was another way to accomplish?

Labels