Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Render a Table with Multiple Lines in a Cell

Zephyrus
6 - Meteoroid

Hi community - 

I am trying to render a table to PDF with multiple lines of text within one cell as shown in Exhibit A below. However, after several attempts and fixes, Alteryx still renders as shown in Exhibit B. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Exhibit A - Desired Outcome

Desired Render.JPG

Exhibit B - What Alteryx Renders

What Alteryx Renders.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @Zephyrus 

Firstly,  add a Summarize Tool (Group by: Movies Series, Concatenate: List of movies - with newline (\n) as separator.  This should get you the desired outcome. 

Secondly, pass the output from the Summarize tool to the Table tool.

Dawn.

Zephyrus
6 - Meteoroid

That’s exactly what I did in the workflow attached in the original post. But it didn’t work as intended. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Zephyrus In @Qiu 's workflow, he's replaced the newline character (\n) with a line break (<br />). The table tool uses html, and html doesn't display/repsect \n; instead, you need to use a <br />. For what it's worth, here's the table tool's html when you just use a newline character:

patrick_digan_0-1624363929651.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@patrick_digan 

THank you for the details

Zephyrus
6 - Meteoroid

@patrick_digan and @Qiu 

I saw this "Table (Bad Field Type)" error while replicating @Qiu's workflow. See Exhibit C. 

When I opened @Qiu's workflow, the Render tool gave the same error. See Exhibit D.

I understand that the workflow could run regardless and the final render appears just the same as desired output, but am wondering what is causing this error to show? Is it some HTML-related parsing malfuntion associated with the Render tool?  

Exhibit C

Error.jpg

Exhibit D

Error from Qiu Worflow.jpg

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Zephyrus Great question! Alteryx knows we're changing the html behind the scenes, and so the render tool throw errors (even though you see that it still works). You can "trick" alteryx with the attached macro that I created for this particular use case right before the render tool. It uses a report text tool to fool alteryx into thinking that your html is coming from a reporting tool. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Zephyrus 
Do you have any feedback?

If you find the solution from my and @Zephyrus are useful, kindly mark it as accept so it would be helpful for other users having the same issue. 😁

thulasir
6 - Meteoroid

Very helpful i was struck with last step. It like magic it worked!

Thank you

Labels