Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Remove Auto-Fills When Not Needed (Reverse Auto-fill)

PNau
7 - Meteor

I have a situation where I would like to remove repeating data (e.g., reverse of auto-fill down).  I have Sorted on Column A, B and C, with A for the Domestic Company and B for the Foreign Company with C the Amount.

Column A repeats until the Domestic Company name changes and repeats again throughout.  Column B never repeats.

I wrote the below formula but then realized it will only remove Company A one time.  I do not know how many times Column A will repeat but I could surmise based on the max number of Foreign Companies if needed.

IF [Row-1:Domestic Co Name]=[Domestic Co Name] THEN "" ELSE [Domestic Co Name] ENDIF

Any guidance or hints is appreciated.  This is more just for learning a reverse way to do something since the auto-fill down I now know how to complete.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
ivoller
12 - Quasar

There are a lot of ways to approach this. How about using Summarize and Join? See attached.

2018-08-20_16-41-24.png

PNau
7 - Meteor

Much appreciated.  This is exactly what I need and easy to follow.

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Or just use a temporary field to get your original approach working. Add a select to rename / remove fields later.

2018-08-20_16-58-12.png

PNau
7 - Meteor

Even nicer.  Thank you both of these will help me approach solutions faster since working with familiar data formatting but in reverse.  I figured this would be a good way to learn. 

Labels