Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to Open, Save, Close an Excel file

raghusrealm
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to connect an Excel file (this file is downloaded from a website using another workflow) to input tool but it is not reading the sheet name. Refer to image 1.

But, when I Open, Save and Close the Excel file and connect to input tool, I am able to get the sheet name. Refer to image 2. This is after the excel file was just opened, save (CTRL+S) and Closed.

I need help to figure a way to Open, Save and Close the excel file using a workflow may be using a Run command or something.

Any help in the form of a workflow would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Raghu

14 REPLIES 14
wwatson
12 - Quasar

Is the file you download from the website saved in CSV format or xlsx?

raghusrealm
8 - Asteroid

@wwatson 

it is in Xlsx format

wwatson
12 - Quasar

I've not seen a case where Alteryx couldn't open an xlsx file and prompt you for the sheet name.

IYou say you created the xlsx file with a workflow. Could you show the configuration of the output tool from the workflow that creates the xlsx file?

raghusrealm
8 - Asteroid

attached is the workflow that is downloading the file from a website. I am using download tool. 

Regards,
Raghu

wwatson
12 - Quasar

I ran the workflow to download the file to the desktop. When I use an input tool in a fresh workflow I get prompted to choose the sheet. So it looks ok to me.

wwatson_0-1594817934188.png

wwatson
12 - Quasar

There is something wrong with the sheetname in the xlsx file it downloads:

wwatson_0-1594823406060.png

taxguy33
8 - Asteroid

Did anyone figure out how to fix this issue? Still encountering this issue as it seems many others are on many other threads.

I have many Excel files (.xlsx) that have a Sheet1 but I can't get an Input Tool to recognize the sheet name as valid without opening up the Excel and saving them.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

@taxguy33 - see link below.  I am having a similar issue and according to leofrancia at Alteryx, it is because the excel file has a prefix x: in all the tags in the Shared String XML embedded in Excel.  Might be the same issue you are having.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/how-to-resolve-this-issue-The-...

taxguy33
8 - Asteroid

@bertal34 This is the exact issue I am facing - even to the point where I'm talking about spreadsheets created by an RPA tool (UiPath) that causes this corruption. If you are able to figure out a way to avoid this, please share. I'm at a loss for how to proceed based on the example / links Alteryx personnel provided to you.

Labels