Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Create new scaffold data from multiple data source

smurakam0201
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Community I have similar format two data source and want to append the data. But at the same time, I want to create all possible scaffold "cells" in new data set. Attaching excel file to show what i want. Thank you for your help in advance. Shin

6 REPLIES 6
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

There's probably a simpler method... but try the attached? Seemed to work...

Basically use Summarize tool to group by all possibilities for the different fields (Process, Version, Period)... union them together between datasource 1 & 2... then Append all the fields back together to create your list of all possible Version-Process-Period combos... then join back the info from the original tables to populate the amounts.

Let us know if that helps :)

NJ

smurakam0201
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Nicole

Thank you for attaching the sample.  It's understandable to use this step by step process.

Definitely it helped, not only this specific, but also as learning opportunity.

One more question, because I'm newbie, is that is it possible to keep "Null" for non-existing cells instead of "0" ?

Thanks,

Shin

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Yes, you could modify the formula that combines the amounts as follows to leave the nulls in there (basically says if those fields are null, keep it null, otherwise add the two together):

if isnull([Amount]) && isnull([Input_#3_Amount]) then null() else tonumber([Amount])+tonumber([Input_#3_Amount]) endif

:)

Happy to help! Good luck, and keep those questions coming - it's the best way to learn (and the best way for others in the community like me to keep from getting rusty!!)

NJ
DanS
9 - Comet

Awesome Nicole!

I took the time to solve this too and did it a little different. (left nulls in)

Posting workflow if anyone's curious.

smurakam0201
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Nicole.

I just start learning, good lesson.

Have a good weekend.

Shiin

smurakam0201
6 - Meteoroid

Dan

Thank you for providing the different solution.

It is always good to know different approach.

I just start learning Alteryx and all of these inputs are really helpful.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks,

Shin

Labels