Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

How to Create a Route along utility assets

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

I have a set of water assets(polylines) broken up into segments across a city.

I would like to find out how I can make a shortest route across the city along the polylines, ie not using the streets. Though the assets mimic the streets often, they don't always, consider water mains don't cross every bridge etc etc.

Any thoughts or experience doing this?

thanks

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Bruttan1,

Can you upload us a small sample of the data and desired outcome and/or rules so we have a go at the logic? 

Thanks!

Jess Silveri
Premium Support Advisor | Alteryx
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply Jessica. I've supplied a sample data set.

It's about optimization of finding the shortest distance along the assets. In this case which is the shortest route between points 1 & 7. If this can work then I just need to be able to expand from every house on a street back to the server origin.

thanks,

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Bruttan1,

Thanks for uploading the sample.  This is going to be a tough one in Alteryx as unfortunately there isn't an out of the box way to do an optimized route.  This is actually one of the popular ideas in our ideas forum.

We have some simpler routing workflows that may give you a sense of the tools but to build it may require a complex macro 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-KB-Archive/Alteryx-Weekly-Exercise-Week-6-Spatial-Route-Agg...

Others on the community who have overcome the same challenge may have some examples to share. I suspect you may be able to utilize an R package to do this.

Jess Silveri
Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to do a similar thing as the OP - has there been any update to this problem? Also the link you provided doesn't work anymore :(

Instead of roads, i have a shapefile or transmission lines, trying to find the route connecting one line to the next

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Matt_J,

The link was this one:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-KB-Archive/Alteryx-Weekly-Exercise-Week-6-Spatial-Route-Agg...

I'd encourage you to post a new thread on your use case with a sample of data so the community can take a look. Routing is a touch challenge in Alteryx and at the moment there isn't an out of the box solution but if you create a post we will be happy to take a look.

Thanks!

Jess Silveri
Highlighted

The link is not accessible to all.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @iravati,

Here is the updated link:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-KB-Archive/Alteryx-Weekly-Exercise-Week-6-Spatial-Route-Agg...

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Labels